Four members of a family in Ilorin were feared dead after the consumption of `amala’ meal, suspected to be poisonous.
a (NAN) learnt that four others who took from the meal, had also been hospitalised at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH).
The incident happened at Magaji-Ogo community behind Kwara State College of Arabic and Islamic Legal Studies, in Ilorin West Local Government Area.
A source told NAN that the victims took the meal on Sunday night before three of them were found dead the following morning.
According to him, the fourth casualty, who was the head of the family, died on Wednesday.
“Those feared dead are the family head, his sister and two children, while those recuperating in the hospital are the mother and three other children.
“The corpses of the deceased had been buried in accordance with Islamic rite. They were eight that took the meal.
“Though we are not sure yet of the cause of death, the meal was taken alongside amphibian and there is a suspicion that they died of poisoning.
“Officials from the state Ministry of Health were in the community to take samples of the meal for test but nothing was yet to be said of the findings,’’ the source said.
The family, NAN learnt, is an extension of the Histrict Head of Adewole, popularly known as Alangua Adewole in Ilorin.